Fort Hartsuff State Historical Park – Burwell, Nebraska
Fort Hartsuff was an active fort from 1874 to 1881 offering protection for the settlers during the Plains Indian Wars. It also became a social center for the people of the plains area. The settlers sold their goods, found work and socialized at the fort. When the train came through the area there was no longer a need for the fort and it was closed. The Park was comprised of 1280 acres and today 13 acres of land is under the management of the state park group.
The nine original permanent buildings on the Park grounds are constructed of grout, a mixture of gravel, lime, and cement similar to concrete. Some former temporary structures and other features such as the original Fort cemetery are on private property.
Abandoned in 1881, the buildings were purchased by the Union Pacific Railroad, whose intention to establish an immigrant center here was never realized. In 1897 the site was purchased by local investors. It became a farm headquarters until donated to the State of Nebraska in 1961 by Glen and Lillian Auble of Ord. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is responsible for restoration and maintenance of the Park as a part of the state-wide Historical Parks system. The Park and surrounding district was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Visitors center open year-round. Office open Memorial Day-Labor Day, 9am-5pm. After season and after hours tours may be conducted at superintendent’s discretion.
Park permit required.
Email us at email@example.com